THE BENEFITS OF STRENGTH & CONDITIONING FOR ALL ABILITIES
- The maximal sustained power output for a given distance, and the energy cost of maintaining that output is known as cycling economy. Strength training can result in an increase in cycling economy.
- It can result in a greater and faster recruitment of powerful, more fatigue resistant fast twitch muscle fibres.This can improve your sprinting cycling performance in the key latter stages of a race.
- Improved use of the natural muscle spring known as the Stretch-Shortening Cycle, which increases force output and muscular efficiency.
- Strength training can facilitate maintenance and growth in muscle mass. This can improve sporting performance, but also is vital for overall health
- It can lead to increases in Bone Mineral Density. This can protect people from developing osteoporosis in later life
- Improves the coordination between muscle groups, which improves the transfer of energy from one muscle to the next. This can lead to greater force output when running or cycling.
- Allows greater tolerance of high workload which reduces the likelihood of injury
- It can offset and prevent muscle wasting in the older population, which are at a greater risk of this problem. Allows improved movement in day to day activities
- Improves flexibility as muscles can move through greater ranges of motion. This reduces the likelihood of injury.